Monday, March 24, 2008

FooD TalKs BoDy WalKs: Ethical ESSay

I remember growing up and watching all those television shows like the Brady Bunch, Leave it To Beaver, Father Knows Best and thinking when I grow up I plan on having a functioning family just like that. By functioning I mean, everyone sitting down and eating the whole breakfast getup with eggs and sausage, the whole nine yards. After which the kids off to school with sack lunches and neatly combed hair. Then, the husband coming home for a healthy sandwich, fruit, afternoon chit chat and then back to work he goes. Next, the kids home from school going over the day, helping with homework, and making dinner. The kids helping me along the way with preparing the food in between their ins and outs of playing outside. Then, sitting down for dinner and going over what has transpired in the course of a day. But unfortunately, it is not all fairy tales and television drama in my house. I am a married and a mother of three beautiful children. I stay very busy with work, home life, and now I have added college to the mix of an already packed day. My kids are involved in after school activities, field trips, and sports games. I keep my kids involved in such things because it is suggested that it is good to keep your kids busy because idle minds have a tendency to get into trouble. I would love to be able to do the things as seen in black in white on the ole television many years ago but the truth is there is not enough time in the day to accomplish this. Trust me, I would love to be able to get up when the roosters crow to make the best of best breakfasts with all the food pyramids requirements but it is not possible.
So we improvise! The kids start off with cereal or oat meal and milk to drink. For breakfast we try to get things that are easy to prepare and healthy at the same time. We do have junk food cereals but we try to eat those in moderation. The kids would rather eat lunch at school and now with the way the food administration is cracking down on the daily allowances of this and that in the weekly calendar of food at school that is not a bad idea. The lunches at school are not just soy bean burgers on Mondays anymore. Several days through the week I am not home until after 6pm. This is not because I work it is because I am running the kids to their ballet practices, soccer practices and after school activities. I am not sure where I am suppose to squeeze in the cooking of food for dinner. I think it is important to have sit down dinners but we are all in and out of the house at various times that it makes it hard to coordinate it. Everyone is hungry and no one wants to wait until 7 pm to eat. That is way too late but we all want to eat healthy.
So one way I have tried to invest more time into making sure that we all eat healthier is by investing in a crock pot and quickie cookbooks. Even some of those meals can be made in 30 minutes or less. That way on the nights that I am running here and there late at night the food is ready for my husband who is usually home first. Crock pots are great for stews, chili, roasts with the veggies, and many other pasta meals if you add the noodles last. I like the idea of having “family dinners” is what we call them. That is where dinner is prepared and we sit at the dining table a consume and converse with each other but often times then not it does not always work out that way.
I think that many people live a fast paced life not paying attention to food intake, calories, or the recommended daily allowances that are suggested. Not because they chose to be unhealthy but because it is kind of complicated to figure out and work out. I don’t think that people sit around thinking what can I eat to make me fatter, more unhealthy, more likely to have cardio problems, or type II diabetes. I think that many restaurants are making it easier to count calories and break things down for you on the menu. I think that would be a big help in trying to watch what we are eating and trying not to take in too many of the wrong types of foods. Subway is a perfect place to go if you are wanting to know what is in each sandwich or at least each of the most popular ones. Applebee’s also has a weight watchers menu. Often times you can find vegetarian cuisine as well as a light menu in many places. I think that this is one way that we could combat the aftermath(unhealthy eating) that is a result of having a busy life. I think that restaurants need to start putting more of an effort into making sure that what they are serving us is healthy and balanced. Because I don’t see us cutting back on going out to dinner or breakfast anytime soon.
I don’t think that people or families necessarily want to eat unhealthy but I think that it is so much easier to just pick up something quick from the fast food place rather rush home and throw something together. I liked the idea of preparing food slow. I like to make my own orange juice. I just actually received from my Grandmother her old crystal juicer. It gives you time to enjoy what you have prepared. It is always a good feeling to know that you have made this or that “from scratch.” It always get the, "oooo’s and awww’s" from the loved ones when you express that feat. I think that if we all could slow it down a bit it would be better for us all the way around. Everyone step away from the typical fast paced crazy life and take more time to be selfish when it comes to what we are putting into our bodies it would be beneficial. After all lets take a quote from the old Schoolhouse Rock cartoons, “You are what you eat!”


*SELF EVALUATION*

1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?
I am proud of my graphs, tables, abilities to actually be able to finally “get” the computer part of it. I loved the graph website a lot. That is going to help in another class that I am taking to be able to make graphs for a presentation that I am having to do.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?
I think I did a very good job. I worked hard and put in a lot of effort. I think I could have done a better job at analyzing my data better with comparing my actual results to my hypothetical results. Also, posting my pictures with each section. I tried to figure that out while I was doing it… with no such luck.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?
I think I should get an A in the unit. I think I put in the time and everything that is necessary. I tried to read thoroughly what was needed to be done in each section and tried to complete all that was required.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?
I know I said before better time management and organization. Well I think I mastered the whole organization thingy. But I think better time management would be a plus.

At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?
I felt the most engaged when I was doing the labs. I liked comparing the peoples’ blood pressure readings and trying to compare and contrast why they were the same or different and what influenced the readings. I loved doing the hands on labs where I was obtaining my bp, respiration rates, and pulse readings.

At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?
I found this whole unit interesting. But I think the cells red and white etc... Was probably where I was the most distanced.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?
The teacher was always there to answer any of the questions I had and I found that to be very helpful and reassuring.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?
There was not one thing that was puzzling that the teacher or student did but the calorie calculator was a bit tricky but I think that is super helpful if you are trying to regulate your intake and trying to figure out if what you are eating is what is actually good for you. Because it is not only about counting calories but are the calories you are consuming beneficial.

What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)
I think it was surprising that I got more excited and had higher bp during eating then I did doing the head stand. AND that was hard by the way… to do it for 10 MINUTES… yikes… the blood was rushing big time!

3 comments:

Tacy said...

I found your essay very true!! I remembering watching full house and roseanne a lot when I younger! One was a fun famiy and the other was a crazy family but they all ate together. after reading our chapter eight I now want to be a healthy person and have my son be healthy as well. Watch the biggest loser on NBC, it makes you want to work out too!!

Larry Frolich said...

Courtney Midkiff
SELF/UNIT EVALUATION
Thanks for this very complete and honest unit eval. I’m glad you’re getting the computer part because that is always satisfying and sounds like you really enjoyed this unit’s material and especially the labs!

COMPENDIUM ONE—CARDIOVASCULAR/IMMUNE
The compendiums are great—really well done. Well chosen graphics, very complete, with table of contents/outline at start and most graphics with references. Nice job!
COMPENDIUM TWO—NUTRITION

LAB ONE—BLOOD PRESSURE
Great job on this lab…good data presentation and very thorough write-up analysis.


LAB TWO—FOOD FOR A DAY
Pretty well-rounded diet! Lots of sodium, but almost everyone has that! Nice job presenting and answering the questions and giving some good feedback on your own diet and the idea of tracking calories.


LAB PROJECT—EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY
This lab is extremely well done and looks like they were some fun activities—I can image in your kids laughed their way through the whole thing. Brave to try to actually put numbers to the hypotheses, rather than just guessing if the rates would go up or down. Sounds like you generally had a good grasp on what these activities would do to you and it was born out in the data. My only complaint is that I had a hard time seeing the data because the posted images are so small and don’t open into larger windows like your food for a day image. Try posting them as medium or large-size images or something like that. But I could see enough to see the lab was very well –done!


ESSAY—EATING
Really interesting perspective on these issues. Yes, those t.v. images can really create false expectations. Sounds like you do a great job given all that is going on with three kids, etc. And the crock pot can be a great solution…really getting all the nutrition out of whatever is in there1

Courtney—thanks for all the very hard work on this basically flawless unit—keep it up—what more can I say!
LF

Anonymous said...

that was a great essay! i'm not a parent and won't be for a long time, but that makes me realize how much i'm going to have to worry about my kids being healthy one day and not just me!!